Fanny was born and brought up in New Zealand. She was the future Lord Kitchener’s niece, a connection useful to her in that he paid for her to come and study at Cambridge and later his influence helped her out of at least one suffragette scrape. After graduating she taught for a while, returning to England and joining the militant Women’s Social & Political Union (WSPU) in 1908. She was arrested in Feb for going on a deputation from the Women’s Parliament to the House of Commons and given six months for obstruction. By the following year she and a friend were running a “dairy & farming school” to teach suffragettes economic self-sufficiency, and also going on speaking tours with the Scottish Universities Women’s Suffrage Association; in 1911 she was their delegate to an international congress in Stockholm. In 1912 she joined in a window breaking campaign in London and was sent to prison for four months. Ethel Moorhead (Plaque 22) was at that demo; they met, and became lifelong friends. Ethel described her as “charming with bloom on soft cheeks and cherries in her hat … brown eyes and silky hair … daring, joyous, vivid and strategic”.
Fanny came to Dundee in Oct and became the local WSPU organiser. She was indefatigable, collecting two more prison terms, writing weekly letters to the press and holding meetings of all kinds including one in Perth where she and May Grant (see above) were pelted with rotten eggs  and had to be rescued by police but bravely went back next month to try again. She wrote in the Advertiser: “Militancy has its uses… we cannot give or withhold votes, but we can offer peace or war.”
By August 1913 she was WSPU organiser in Edinburgh, and spent some time looking after Ethel Moorhead who had been released, ill, under the ‘Cat & Mouse Act’. This Act allowed women prisoners to be released when their health was endangered but re-arrested as soon as they got better. The next year she and another (probably Ethel) tried to burn down Burns’s cottage but she was caught and imprisoned again, and was forcibly fed – by rectum. She was sent to a nursing home and promptly escaped, but World War II broke out and suffragettes were amnestied before she could be re-arrested. One of her uncles wrote to her: “I have medals too but I would be prouder if I had yours.”  The WSPU disbanded and Fanny joined the Women’s Freedom League, working in London as head of their National Service Organisation which found jobs for women and made sure they weren’t exploited. She later became Deputy Controller of the WAAC at Boulogne. Ten years later she died in Arcachon near Bordeaux; she was almost certainly living there with Ethel, and she left nearly all to her in her will.
So – Fanny Parker did not live long in Dundee; but when she did she certainly made an